Wednesday 28 March 2012

My foray into the confusing world of social media

So seeming as I'm off work sick (almost losing your voice and being unable to have the craic with the customers as well as coughing and hacking like a 90-a-day-for-20 years-smoker isn't really helpful when you're a children's entertainer) and now feeling better from sleeping solidly till 1pm this afternoon (my lovely friend and very talented photographer Ali Gordon from The Gift Gallery woke me when she rang to discuss a charity event we're both involved with next week for Ashgate Hospice at Bluey's Bar and Bistro in Alfreton) I decided to attempt to get to grips with the whole world of Social Media.

I'm quite comfortable with Facebook, in fact I'd say I'm extremely adept at utilising it to the best of my ability for advertising and cross-advertising purposes, which sounds awfully big-headed and boastful and for that I apologise, but it wasn't my intent, I was just being matter of fact.  Twitter, I've used minimally - spent a bit of time setting up my account, and connecting it to Facebook and vice-versa, but other than that, not really done a lot with it.  Out of curiosity, I Googled Facebook + Twitter - and the number of articles that came up was unbelieveable!  "10 ways to sync your F&T"; "5 different ways in which to connect you F&T" and so on... all of which I decided not to read because I didn't want to confuse myself any more than I already was.

Having spent a bit of time, I believe I've taken baby steps in familiarising myself with Twitter, and apart from being a little unsure of the difference between using the @tag and the #tag, I'm happy to say that it was time worth spent.  I even figured out how to make my profile(s) look pretty - ie customise them to my corporate image.  At which point I'm sounding like a complete newbie - which I'm not - but when you're not firing on all cylinders, thinking's over-rated really.

So onto my Blog.  Following a quick consult to my guru Google (to quote my brother several years ago - "Google knows everything, just ask it" despite the fact that he now tends to use Duck Duck Go) I learnt that there are two top free Blog sites, and I chose Blogger because I'm familiar with Google products, and it just seemed to suit my needs better.  However the proof will be in the response I get (if any - I'll be amazed if anyone is really interested in my rambling thoughts) when I send this out into the ether.

Reading back over what I've typed, I feel rather like one of those Grumpy Old Men/Women in the BBC series complaining of everything and anything to do with modern technology.  Perhaps my excuse could be that I'm not well so anything that doesn't go quite to plan, or cannot be done instantly must be difficult or confusing!  Or maybe I am just actually having a winge and a moan - despite having (mostly) enjoyed myself thoroughly during this whole expedition.

Just a side-note, what happened to My Space? It seems to be completely dead these days, does anyone really use it?

On that note, I shall log onto Hootsuite and update all my social media instantaneously with the news that I have managed (hopefully!) to publish my first blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Spire Face Painting is a Chesterfield based family business priding ourselves on providing customers with quality, personal artistic service to Chesterfield, Sheffield and surrounding districts. We offer face painting, glitter and fun tattoos in a unique way - blending artistry and entertainment. We only use non-toxic products ideal for sensitive skin and easy to remove using warm soapy water or a baby wipe. Our stylish new glitter tattoos simply wipe off with oil or oil-based products (eg olive oil; baby oil; some shower gels). We are available for many different functions including: birthday parties; community functions; girls night in or out; charity fund-raising events; make-up and special effects; theme parties; hen nights. Our artist is fully CRB checked, and has current public liability insurance. As each occasion has different requirements, we quote for each occasion specifically. The only thing that never changes is our personal service and attention to quality. For further information please contact us on: Mobile: 077 1977 8122 Email: info@spirefacepainting.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/Spirefp Twitter: @spirefp; @thespirefp